Tuesday, December 29, 2009

See Ya Later 2009!

My 2009 has, like many others', been full of ups and downs.

Certainly on paper it looks like its been a lot of downs, including the whole lack of job situation, the ever present thoughts in my head (wtf am I doing with my life? where is my career going? do I even have a career? and (possibly my most thought question) how much would selling all of my stuff get me, and what far away country can I move to and wait this whole "recession" out in?) certainly seem to back up that this year has been crappy and stressful and downright depressing at times. I am so glad that 2009 is on its way out the door - if only because its the year I got dumped by my 2 year old career, and its the year I learned the ins and outs of COBRA and the ever so difficult unemployment office.

However, it hasn't been all bad, this year numbered 2009. In some ways it has been one of the best years of my life. I know that I've only seen 24 years, but this one certainly takes the cake in a TON of ways.

I got laid off on a Friday, and even though it was the absolute worst thing that has happened to me in a long while I had three things to guide me through the first weekend, and then the next 10 months, that have helped me make this the best year of my life:
  1. My boss told me, 'you're going to need to remember this, it won't help right now, but it will help in a couple of days, and again in a couple of months "this is not your fault".' Boy was he right, that mantra has helped me more than waiting in line at EDD or watching Brian Williams break down the unemployment rate. Having him say to me that this whole "situation" isn't my fault has helped me understand that losing my job doesn't mean losing my future career and it doesn't mean that I'm incompetent. Knowing those two things has helped me stay on track through all of the frustration with job hunting, job rejection, and joblessness.
  2. I have a fantastic family. When I left the office after losing my job I drove straight to my parents' house and the support (and free food) hasn't stopped. Not that I'd expect anything else,  my parents and my sister are pretty bomb, but having that support and safety net just a few miles away when I need it has made such a difference this year.
  3. I have some pretty marvelous friends. In times where you struggle you definitely find out who your friends are, and this year has been no exception. Whether its dinner out when I'm frustrated over a job rejection, buying me a drink when we go out, uplifting words of encouragement, playing rock band, sending me "I'm a victim of the recession" flair (I love you S!), watching movies all day, or going on adventures my friends have been the absolute best.
So thanks 2009, even though I have no idea what I'm doing with my life, you have shown me Ireland and the English Riviera  (I s'pose I should thank my severence pay and Ty, C, CO, and Di for that), you have shown me that I can accomplish things (thanks D for hiking the Grand Canyon with me), you have shown me how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many wonderful people, you have shown me how much fun life is, and you have shown me that I can re-invent myself.

Here's to the dawn of a new decade, a new year, and perhaps a start at the next chapter in my life.

Cheers to all of you and a Happy New Year!

No comments: