Thursday, December 17, 2009

One in Seven

Did you know that one in seven people on this planet live in slum settlements?

Designers around the world are coming together to help provide underprivileged people with homes with roofs, schools for their children, and clean water systems, but at this rate, by 2020 it is estimated that one in three people in this world will live in slums.

I feel like now is a perfect time to highlight one of my favorite non-profits (and the one I'd most like to work for): Architecture for Humanity.

Check out their website: www.architectureforhumanity.org

Their book, Design Like You Give a Damn, is sort of my bible for design. Of all of the books in my bookcase its the one I find most inspiring (thank you Lindz), the one that pushes me to think that design really can change the world, and that I can be a part of that.

Please check out Architecture for Humanity, and if you're on twitter follow them @archforhumanity for loads of updates, lecture links, and a whole ton of other things.

No comments: