Thursday, December 3, 2009

Things related to the XX persuasion...

For some reason today I'm feeling like some crazed woman concerned with the well being of women around the world (actually, that is sort of my every day mode now that I think about it). I think its just the overwhelming number of feminist posts on Jezebel today - and considering its a site for women it seemed to be a heavier day than most.

So here's what has been on my mind today, with the links that caught my eye:
  1. The best way to fight climate change/global warming is population control. DUH! I've always been a firm believer that people need to get better about that whole pesky birth control thing, and that trying to control the human population is the best measure we as a species can take for salvaging this world we live on. Its nice to see mainstream media starting to talk about the negative effects population growth has on many of our environmental, cultural, and economic sustainability issues at home and abroad. Here's an article from today's Telegraph describing the organization POP Offset's family planning and carbon offset program.
  2. The UN Foundation and Nike Foundation have teamed up to work in Ethiopian villages to educate families against child marriages. On average, girls in Ethiopia are 15 when they are married off - preventing them from any educational opportunities that may be available to them and furthering the spread of HIV/AIDs. Check out The Daily Beast's article on this exciting and already successful program!
  3. Here's a question for you, why does Forbes Magazine measure a woman's worth in terms of influence instead of financial terms as they do with men? Here's an interesting article from Jezebel today. I actually think that a list of influential women is more interesting than a list of women's salaries and investment portfolios, but that's because I care more about what people do, than how much they are fiscally worth. I also agree that Forbes magazine probably doesn't want to get involved in the Men/Women pay gap issue and that that is most likely the main reason for measuring a woman's worth in terms of her influence over her finances.
  4. Apparently the reason Americans (and other crazed fans abroad too) are so in love with the Twilight story and Edward and Bella's relationship is because its abusive. Not surprising, I guess. As a society we dig abusive relationships in our fairy tales, and furthermore I think we have trouble counting fictional relationships (and then actual relationships) as romantic if they don't have an edge of abuse to them - and I find that thought incredibly terrifying. Isn't it wrong that some of our favorite stories are based off of abusive relationships? I mean Beauty & the Beast (he locked her up in a building and threatened to kill her if she left), Peter Pan & Wendy didn't exactly have the sanest relationship either (especially in Hook - that whole you're old so I'm moving on to your grand daughter bit is bizarre), and now Edward & Bella (I can't live without, but I'll probably kill you, and then I'm going to go off myself) - its totally WACK! This LJ post goes through some of the criteria of an abusive relationship, as defined by the National Domestic Violence Hotline, and finds that 15, I argue 14, of the NDVH's criteria for abusive relationships are met in Edward and Bella's relationship. And this is now the most accepted and known relationship example for teenagers in our country - I am seriously concerned.
With that I wish you a good night, and encourage all of my independent and strong willed girl friends to keep up the good work and to stay away from over bearing vampire boyfriends ;)

No comments: