Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Last M. Night Shymalan Movie

The Last Airbender may wind up being the last M. Night Shymalan movie I ever see.


Before driving back to San Diego yesterday, a few of us decided to check out The Last Airbender. Quiet possibly one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. Its a terrible terrible movie. I really would like to find a way to get my 8 bucks and 2 hours back. 

The concept is great - the world is made up of tribes of people who can call upon the 4 elements: Air, Water, Earth, and Fire. These nations are at war with each other - with the Fire nation trying to dominate the other three elements. Legend has it that once a lifetime, an Avatar - one who can "bend" each of the 4 elements to his will - will come and unite the nations. Great idea for a story - from the cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender - absolutely horrible execution. The writing and directing were way off the mark, and as a result the acting was strained and canned. It was painful to watch. I'm in the process of trying to renew my faith in Sci Fi/Fantasy movies - given that this is my favorite movie genre, I think that goes to show just how awful The Last Airbender was.

Earlier in the week I did see a pretty hilarious sci fi parody type movie called Free Enterprise - about 2 20 somethings who grew up on Trek, Logan's Run, Star Wars, and other genre related series/movies. Fantastic movie, trailer below:

2 comments:

mariel said...

Ohh snap! That's hilarious about Free Enterprise - that story is based on the lives of the two guys I used to work for! They wrote the script & directed it. They're the ones that started Geek Magazine (the real one, as opposed to the one that Eric McCormick works at in the movie). At the beginning of the movie, Eric is sitting in his office, which happened to be my office when I worked there. :D

dathomiri witch said...

No kidding!!!! That is too awesome :)