Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cork, Corks, and More Cork!

Somebody's ears must have been burning or something a couple of nights ago. I'm working on a custom jewelry display/hanger for my friend N (I have some up on Etsy (check out the photo links on the right side of the page) and she wants something to put post/stud earring on built into the hanger. I wanted to experiment with recycling wine corks and incorporating them into the frame - an idea which I'll try and remember to report back on later.

The next day I wake up and check my blog roll and see that Whole Foods has started a cork recycling program - which is awesome. With very little increase into their current carbon footprint, Whole Foods will collect customer's used wine/beer/oil corks and, with a little help from FedEx, get them to various plants where cork is recycled and reused into packaging and paper products. Pretty nifty! For more info. check out their blog entry from yesterday.

For the more creative types, here are some ideas for re-using corks from some fellow Etsians:

Colorful Cork Earrings - Spring Fling

Cork and Silver Necklace

Cork Ball Bracelet

INSTANT GIFT Combo Key Rack / Wine Cork Message Board

Corky

No comments: